The time is NOW to get in the kitchen and make these delicious, easy and fun Paleo Cosmic Brownie recipe!
If you’ve never had the real-deal cosmic brownie before (the ones by Little Debbie), you are missing out! I LOVED them growing up! They are a dense, fudgy brownie covered in a chocolate ganache and then topped with rainbow colored, crunchy chocolate pieces.
With inspiration from the Little Debbie snacks I ate growing up, I’ve made my own better-for-you rendition at home. These are grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and paleo compliant and they turned out *so so yummy*! I know y’all are going to have a blast making these!
Paleo Cosmic Brownies
For the Brownies:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup creamy unsweetened almond butter
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
For the Ganache:
- ¾ cup dark chocolate I use Hu Kitchen gems
- ⅓ cup unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper.
Make the Brownies:
- Start by creating a double boiler. In a medium saucepan, add water so it is 1-2 inches deep. Heat water until it begins to simmer. In a heat-safe bowl, all the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter, coconut sugar, and cocoa powder. Place the bowl over the simmering water, and whisk until it is melted and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- *Alternatively, you can place the coconut oil, maple syrup, almond butter, coconut sugar, (not the cocoa powder yet!) in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each cooking cycle. Repeat, melting in 30-second increments, until smooth, about 1.5 minutes total. Whisk in the cocoa powder until well combined.
- Remove from heat and transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Whisk in the coconut milk, vanilla extract and salt until very smooth. Set aside and let it cool for 3-5 minutes. It will still be warm, but not hot.
- Once cooled, add the eggs and whisk until very well combined.
- Add the almond flour, arrowroot and baking powder and using a rubber spatula, stir until well combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Hit the bottom of the pan against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Transfer the brownies to the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted into the center and come out with a few moist crumbs. These are fudgy brownies, so the center should feel slightly underdone.
- Set the brownies aside to cool while you prepare the ganache.
Make the Ganache:
- Meanwhile, In a double boiler, add the coconut milk, chopped chocolate, and coconut oil. Melt and whisk constantly until the ganache is smooth, shiny, and thick, about 3 minutes total.
- *Alternatively, you can place the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring in between each cooking cycle. Repeat, melting in 30-second increments, until the ganache is smooth, shiny, and thick, about one minute total. Set aside.
Finish the Cosmic Brownies:
- Pour the ganache over the cooked brownies and using a rubber spatula, smooth evenly. Evenly sprinkle the sprinkles over the top of the ganache.
- Transfer the brownies to the fridge and let chill so that the ganache sets, at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the brownies into squares and serve.