Let me introduce you to my new favorite party dip for the summer — Mexican Shrimp Cocktail! I am obsessed with this fresh, fun take on classic shrimp cocktail. As most of you know, I am pregnant. One thing I miss most during this pregnancy is raw fish…I dream about it — literally — and it’s debatable whether or not I would choose a bottle of wine or sushi if I were able to break the rules for a day. Anyway, it is my pregnancy craving of ceviche that brought me to making this dish. It is a great clash between raw ceviche and shrimp cocktail.
Bring this Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with a bag of chips to your next backyard get together and people will ooh and ahh over how delicious this is!
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
- 1 Lb. Medium-Large Cooked Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
- 1/2 cup Ketchup (we like Annie’s Organic)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Orange Juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (Valentina, Cholula, or Crystal)
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 large and ripe tomato, diced (with the juices)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 8 oz. Jar of All Natural Clam Juice
- 1 large hass avocado, cubed
- Fresh ground pepper
1. In a bowl, combine ketchup, lime juice, orange juice, hot sauce, minced garlic, 1 tsp. salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
2. Chop about 3/4ths of your pre-cooked shrimp (discard tails) and place the rest of the shrimp in the fridge and reserve for later. Place chopped shrimp in a large bowl with the celery, red onion, cucumber, tomato, jalapeno, and cilantro. Toss gently to combine.
3. Now add in the ketchup mixture and the clam juice, stir gently to combine. Add in some fresh black pepper and toss once more to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to chill (it keeps well overnight, too!)
4. When about ready to serve, cube the avocado and add it to the mix. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
5. Serve in a fun glass or bowl, dip whole shrimps in the sauce then dangle them on the sides of the glass for looks. Garnish with extra cilantro leaves and serve with tortilla chips, crackers, or just by the spoonful! Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes and Yes, More Please.
CourtneyFebruary 9, 2022 at 11:28 pm
Adding this to my list of fave apps! So good!