This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Getting everyone fed and out the door on busy mornings is no easy feat! To help with the morning craziness, I turn to these Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos that are packed with protein and flavor.
To me, there’s nothing like a breakfast burrito to start the day! Piled with fluffy eggs, veggies, cheese, herbs, and instant flavor from a store-bought salsa verde, these burritos are sure to be a hit and fuel your day. And if you’re looking for more ideas for breakfast, check out more Breakfast Inspiration here or if you’re looking for something sweet, try my Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones (Starbucks Copycat).
Yes! Once wrapped in foil, I place in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. From frozen, I like to reheat mine in the oven. Place the foil-wrapped burrito into an oven preheated to 350℉ degrees for about 15 minutes, or until warm in the center.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sweet Potato
- Mini Bell Peppers
- Burrito-Sized Tortillas
- Salsa Verde
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
- Plus, Salt, Black Pepper and EVOO!
step one: make the sweet potato hash
Start the burritos by making the sweet potato hash. Simply pile all of your hash ingredients onto a prepared sheet pan and roast until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. I love how the oven handles all the work with this hash!
step two: cook the bacon and eggs
While the hash roasts in the oven, prepare the bacon and eggs. I love to reserve about a tablespoon of the bacon fat in the skillet to cook my eggs in to get some extra flavor. When cooking the eggs, I like to make a softer scramble. That way the eggs do not get rubbery when reheating!
step three: assemble the burritos
Next, pile all of your ingredients onto the tortillas, starting with the hash as the base and topping everything with cilantro.
step FOUR: CAREFULLY FOLD
Don’t be scared when folding these burritos — even with the ingredients piled up I promise it is possible! Follow the steps below on how to fold then wrap in foil to store.
Depending on the need for the week, I will store these Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos in the fridge for the week or in the freezer for up to one month. Find all of the reheating steps below!
For More Breakfast Inspiration:
Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
For the Sweet Potato Hash:
- 1 medium sweet potato diced small
- 3 mini bell peppers diced small
- 1 shallot diced small
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the Bacon and Eggs:
- 4 slices of bacon
- 8 eggs
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Assembly:
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1/3 cup store bought Salsa Verde
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños from the jar
- ½ cup Monterey jack cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
Roast the Potato Hash:
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add the sweet potato, bell pepper, onion, shallot, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss until well combined. Roast until the potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Cook The Bacon and Eggs:
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the crisp bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Discard all of the bacon fat, reserving just 1 tbsp to cook the eggs in the skillet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs until very well combined. Add the eggs, salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, pushing the eggs to scramble them until they are just cooked. (I like them a softer scramble, since the burritos will be reheated later.) Remove from the heat and set aside.
Assemble the Burritos:
- Lay one flour tortilla on a cutting board. In the center, spoon ¼ of the sweet potato hash mixture, then ¼ of the scrambled eggs. Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of the salsa verde over the eggs and place 3-4 jalapeno slices on top. Sprinkle with a bit of the Monterray jack cheese. Add 1 slice of bacon, broken into smaller pieces. Finish with cilantro.
- Fold the sides inward, over the filling, then roll the burrito over the filling, tucking as you roll until rolled tightly and secure. Wrap with foil.
- You can store the burritos in the fridge for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for 1 month. See notes for reheating tips.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.