There is nothing more peaceful to me than sipping coffee on a Sunday morning and making a big breakfast casserole, like this Chorizo and Spiralized Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. It smells up the house in the most lovely way that brings your family sneaking out of bed wondering what’s for breakfast?
The other great thing about this Chorizo and Spiralized Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole — or any Sunday breakfast casserole — is that the leftovers will get you through a lot of the week. Breakfast casseroles reheat quite well and I just love having breakfast already ready for busy mornings.
This breakfast casserole is super simple, yet bustling with flavor. The amazing flavor from the Chorizo does most of the talking, while the touch of sweetness from the sweet potatoes softens the kick from the spicy chorizo. I just love the combination!
Now, you can easily keep this breakfast casserole Whole30 compliant by omitting the cheese and opting to use Nutpods Original Creamer in the egg combination. I highly recommend using Nutpods rather than something like coconut milk or almond milk. Almond milk just doesn’t have that thick consistency you want, while the flavor of coconut milk alone will overpower the dish. Nutpods is much more smooth and simple in flavor, and perfect for cooking in dishes like this!
Find more breakfast inspiration here.
Chorizo and Spiralized Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb chorizo
- 2 cups spiralized sweet potato
- 8-10 eggs (8 if they are large, 10 if medium/smaller sized eggs)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 black pepper
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (I use Nutpods Original Dairy-free creamer)
- 1/4 cup shredded mexican blend cheese (optional, omit for whole30 or Dairy-free options)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo (if it's in the casing, remove from casing first) and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon until cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. (I don't drain mine, I like the added fat for flavor. But if your chorizo has an excessive amount of fat to it, drain off most of it, leaving 1-2 tbsp of the fat for flavor).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and cream until very well combined and frothy. Set aside.
- Spread the spiralized sweet potatoes across the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Next, spread the cooked chorizo (and the fat from the skillet) over the top of the spiralized sweet potato. Then, pour the egg mixture over the top. Gently shake the skillet so that everything is spread evenly. Sprinkle the cheese over the top (if using).
- Place into the oven and cook until the eggs have just set, about 20 minutes.