This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you haven’t made it yet, my Whole30 Skillet Chicken Piccata is a dream of a weeknight meal and definitely the recipe I make the most in my home of all my recipes. This Lemon-Basil Chicken Skillet recipe here is pretty much it without the capers and instead, a fresh hit of basil over the top. I LOVE capers, don’t get me wrong, but this was a nice change of “scenery” for a girl that eats Chicken Piccata way too much. Like, wayyyy too much.
This easy, beautiful Lemon-Basil Chicken Skillet is one that the whole family can enjoy and will leave your tummies oh-so-satisfied!! You’ll never even know it’s Whole30 approved!! No kidding!
- 4 organic, boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- juice of 1 lemon
- 5 large leaves of basil, julienned
- Place a boneless, skinless chicken breast on a cutting board. Hold it flat with the palm of one hand and, with a chef's knife in the other hand, carefully slice it in half horizontally to make a thinner breast of chicken. Cut all of the chicken breasts this way.
- Season the chicken, to taste, with kosher salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pour arrowroot into a bowl or plate and dredge the chicken in the arrowroot so that it is just coated on both sides. Set aside on a plate while you continue to coat all of the chicken in the arrowroot.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet. sear the chicken until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side and, when the chicken is browned set aside on a plate. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to do this in two batches and you may need to add more olive oil if your skillet dries out. Your chicken does not need to be cooked through, just golden brown. It will continue to cook in the sauce in a minute.
- Reduce heat on the skillet to medium-low. Add the tbsp. ghee and melt.
- Add the chopped garlic and crushed red pepper flakes (optional) and saute in the ghee for 30 seconds, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Pour in the chicken broth and the lemon juice.
- Nestle the chicken back into the skillet into the sauce. Let the contents in the skillet simmer on medium to medium-low heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
- Top with the freshly chopped basil.
- Serve and enjoy!