Ground beef is one of those versatile meats that we all feel comfortable cooking with, no matter the level of our confidence in the kitchen. It’s pretty foolproof plus, it’s something everyone loves, which is why that, and my love for kimchi, lead to this recipe: Korean-inspired Ground Beef and Kimchi Bowls.
I love Korean kimchi and korean food. It’s packed with so much umami flavor, spice, and it’s just plain delicious. One thing that I love to always have in my fridge is Kimchi, or a fermented vegetable dish. In America, the Kimchi that we are most familiar with is one with cabbage. It’s got the most wonderful tangy flavor with just a lovely hint of spice, and it can turn any easy weeknight meal into flavor town.
These Korean-inspired Ground Beef and Kimchi Bowls are far from authentic, but it’s a fun Korean-inspired easy weeknight dish that packs on zing with very little effort. All you really have to do is brown some meat with a few added aromatics, serve with some prepared cauliflower rice, store-bought kimchi, and a little fresh crunch of cucumber and BAM! Dinner is served. Easy!!
If you like kimchi, try my Chicken and Kimchi Stir Fry!
Korean-Inspired Ground Beef and Kimchi Bowls
For the Ground Beef:
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely grated pear
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Cauliflower Rice
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup store-bought kimchi I like Wildbrine
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- toasted sesame seeds optional
- black sesame seeds optional
For the Ground Beef:
- Combine coconut aminos, toasted sesame oil, ginger, pear, fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add the ground beef, salt and pepper and break up with the back of spoon. Cook until the beef is cooked through, no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain off the excess fat then add the beef back to skillet with the prepared sauce. Cook, stirring, until the sauce reduces and coats the meat, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
For the Cauliflower Rice:
- In a separate skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and cauliflower rice until the cauliflower is heated through. About 3 minutes.
For the Bowls:
- To serve, Divide desired amount of beef in two bowls alongside the prepared cauliflower rice. Serve along side kimchi and top with sliced cucumber and fresh cilantro. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!