One of my favorite restaurants of all time, if not my #1 favorite, is R+D Kitchen. Literally everything on the menu is delicious and it’s just a great go-to for any meal. Amongst some of my favorite things to order is their Newporter Salad. Why do I love it so much? Because it’s a hearty salad that will actually fill you up and it tastes absolutely delicious.
I knew I had to recreate it in my own kitchen, and today I partnered up with one of my favorite brands OXO to bring you this recipe using some of my favorite OXO Kitchen tools that just make life in the kitchen so much easier. I’ve been a very big fan of OXO products for as long as I can remember so I am delighted to partner with them today to share a few of my favorites.
One thing my mom always had in her kitchen growing up was a Salad Spinner, and I have carried on that tradition and made it an absolute essential in mine. If you don’t have one in your kitchen I can’t encourage you enough to buy one ASAP. After you wash your greens, give them a whirl in the salad spinner to dry them and keep them fresh and crisp… nobody wants a watery or soggy salad, after all.
The other fun OXO gadgets I used while making this salad (and use regularly in my kitchen) is the Twist & Pour Salad Dressing Mixer and the Mini Grate & Slice Set. The salad dressing mixer is great for whipping up Salad dressing and I love that I can pop it into my fridge to keep salad dressing fresh to use throughout the week. The Mini Grate & Slice set is one of my most used kitchen gadgets. I use the mandoline to thinly slice veggies, and the two graters to grate things into recipes, like how I grated my Hardboiled Eggs into this delicious salad here.
All in all, this salad is a total winner and one I know you are going to just love. In fact, my husband said it was his favorite salad I have made to date! Plus, all of these OXO utensils are great for assisting you in all of your salad making needs! I can’t recommend them enough!
- 3 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 3 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 tsp. coconut palm sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 5 strips of bacon, fried until crisp then crumbled
- 1 apple, cut into matchsticks
- 4 cups packed kale removed from stem and finely chopped (6-8 leaves of green kale)
- 2 cups packed mature spinach, loosely chopped (about 1/2 bunch of spinach)
- 1/2 cup loosely chopped walnuts
- 4 hard boiled eggs, shredded on a cheese grater
- 1/4 cup flame raisins
- 3 cups of torn rotisserie chicken
- In a bowl, whisk together the champagne vinegar, dijon mustard, coconut sugar, and olive oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the salad ingredients (kale, spinach, crumbed bacon, matchstick apples, chopped walnuts, shredded rotisserie chicken, raisins, and hard boiled eggs).
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss continuously for 3-5 minutes, allowing time for the kale to absorb the dressing and lightly wilt.
- Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!