Just a good old fashioned chicken soup is just what the doctor ordered, am I right? Get it in your bowl quickly with this Instant Pot Chicken and “Rice” Soup.
Cold season is about to hit, and it’s never fun, and simple, nourishing soups are the perfect dinner to make yourself or a loved one when they’re feeling icky. Now, considering one hates to cook while ill, this one you can just pop into your InstantPot and it will do all the work for you, giving you yummy, tender chicken in no time. I just ladle the hot broth right over some prepared riced cauliflower, and it’s ready to go! A fun take on Chicken and Rice soup, with a Whole30, grain-free twist.
For more simple soup recipes like this Instant Pot Chicken and “Rice” Soup, check out my Soups + Stews Round-Up!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (or 1/2 large onion)
- 3/4 cup loosely chopped celery (or 2 stalks)
- 1 cup loosely chopped carrot (or 1 large carrot)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless skinless
- 1 tsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup fresh riced cauliflower, not frozen
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Turn Instant Pot to the "sautee" function and heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. Sautee, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Then, press the "cancel" button on the Instant Pot. Add the chicken broth, chicken breast, thyme and bay leaf. Secure lid and seal vent. Press the "manual" button and select the high pressure setting. Set time to 15 minutes.
- When the cooking time is up, turn the vent to the venting mode and release the pressure manually. Once pressure if fully released, carefully remove lid. Using tongs, transfer chicken breast to cutting board. Shred chicken using two forks and then place shredded chicken in soup. Stir in baby spinach, until just wilted. Taste soup and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Spoon riced cauliflower into the bottom of a small bowl. Ladle soup over riced cauliflower (don't worry it will cook in a few moments with the hot broth). Finish with lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you don't have an InstantPot, you can make this stovetop and here is how: heat a pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat with the oil. Saute the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. Saute, stirring, until veggies are tender.
- Add the broth, chicken breast, thyme, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook until chicken is cooked through and easy to shred, about 15-20 minutes.
- Using tongs, transfer cooked chicken breast to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Place shredded chicken back into the soup and stir in the baby spinach until just wilted. Taste soup and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Spoon riced cauliflower into the bottom of the bowl and ladle soup over. Finish with the juice of a lemon, serve and enjoy.