This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Wow, this Homemade Poblano Corn Casserole is absolutely delicious!
If you’ve never had “spoonbread” before, it’s essentially cornbread that is soft enough to eat with a spoon. This dish, if you let it cool, you can definitely slice like cornbread, but I think it definitely ventures more on the side of a casserole or ‘spoonbread.’
My grandmother, Nonnie, always made “corn casserole.” We also called it “Corn Soufflé” growing up. From my personal experience, they are one and the same. Her version of this “casserole/soufflé” consisted of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, milk, creamed corn and sour cream. She’d flavor it up in all sorts of ways depending on what she had on hand.
I wanted to recreate what Nonnie used to make but keep it gluten-Free and dairy-free. Most cornbread mixes contain gluten in them, so I knew I had to start from scratch. It might sound more daunting than using the box mix but let me tell you… this recipe is still SO EASY.
So whether you want to call this recipe a fancy cornbread, a corn casserole, a corn soufflé or even a spoon bread — you do you. Call it what you want, but I’ll just call it a yummy Homemade Poblano Corn Casserole for now! 🙂 It’s moist, it’s easy, it’s got some heat in it from the poblanos and green chiles, and omg… it’s just delicious!
Homemade Corn Casserole
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3/4 cup poblano pepper, seeded and diced small about 1 large poblano
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup coarse grind cornmeal I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 [15-oz] can corn, drained
- 1 [4-oz] can fire-roasted green chiles, undrained
- 1/2 cup dairy-free sour cream I use Forager Brand
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk I used Oat Milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the poblano, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl combine the corn meal, GF flour, baking powder and coconut sugar. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, canned corn, can green chiles, sour cream and milk. Using a fork, whisk until well combined.
- Pour the wet corn mixture into the bowl with the dry cornmeal mix. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir until very well combined. (don't overbeat it though)
- Pour the cornbread mix into the cast iron skillet with the onions and poblanos. Carefully toss the mixture until well combined. Spread the cornbread across the skillet into an even layer.
- Transfer to the oven and let bake, uncovered, until set and golden brown on top, about 20 munutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving!
- Enjoy! (refrigerate leftovers!)
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.