This Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Roll-ups recipe started off with us being really lazy and just marinating chicken breasts with a good ole store-bought bottle of teriyaki sauce and then suddenly, creativity struck and we transformed them into delicious lettuce cups that gave us a Vietnamese spring roll fix as well. Dining on a summer night al fresco with these bad boys really doesn’t get much better we decided as we all devoured our lettuce rolls. If you wanted to, you could cut the rice noodles and wrap everything in rice paper instead, but this just gave it a more fresh approach–not to mention it is much easier than spending all day in the kitchen trying to get everything in the rice paper without ripping those little guys.
Give these Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Roll-ups a try over the weekend, or a weeknight, for a healthy and light summer dinner, that everyone is SURE to enjoy. Not to mention, SO EASY!
- 4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Bottle of Teriyaki Sauce (We like Stonewall Kitchen Garlic Teriyaki)
- if you are Gluten Free, marinade your chicken breasts with 2 tbsp. of olive oil, 1/4 cup tamari, 1 tbsp. sriracha, and 2 tbsp. honey.
- 8-10 pieces of butter lettuce
- 1 cup of shredded carrots (We just buy the matchstick carrots from the store)
- 4 Radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 box of Rice noodles
- Fresh Mint Leaves (about 8 leaves)
- Fresh Basil Leaves (about 8 leaves)
- Fresh Cilantro Leaves (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 lime, cut into small wedges for serving
1. Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Place them in a large zip lock bag with 1/2 the bottle of teriyaki sauce. Seal zip lock and store in the fridge to let marinade for at least 30 minutes, but preferably all day.
2. When ready to grill, cook the marinated chicken breasts over medium-medium high heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side or until no longer pink in the center. Brush the tops of the chicken breasts with about 1 tbsp. extra of the teriyaki sauce each. Cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
3. While your chicken is resting, cook your rice noodles according to package directions.
4. When your rice noodles are ready, slice your chicken and make a big buffet (with all of the veggies, etc) for everybody to assemble their lettuce rolls.
5. To serve: You can get creative and add in whatever you want, but we filled our lettuce wraps as follows: first put in some of the rice noodles, then the sliced teriyaki chicken, top with matchstick carrots, the sliced radishes, the fresh herbs, and a squeeze of lime. Eat it like a little taco and ENJOY! So good and fresh!