Here is a delicious appetizer recipe that is certain to impress guests — Herby Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews!
I was inspired by a local pizza restaurant, Fireside Pies, to create this recipe. At Fireside, one of the appetizers is peppadew peppers that are stuffed with goat cheese and fire-roasted, drizzled with a cilantro pesto and topped with candied pecans. They are just delightful and I could probably eat the entire appetizer myself — no shame here. With this recipe, I’ve created an easy at-home rendition of the dish using store-bought pesto and chopped walnuts.
If you’ve never had a Peppadew pepper before, they are SO delicious. Peppadew is the brand name for the pickled grape-size red pepper known as Juanita. Peppadew is a trademarked brand name of South African food company Peppadew International Ltd. Peppadew Peppers have a unique, delicious taste – a mixture of peppery and sweet, with a distinctive flavor. While the term “pepper” can be a little daunting these peppers have a very mild heat.
Peppadews stay pretty crisp in the pickle brine, which makes them the perfect vehicle for stuffing! Goat cheese is a very common pairing with Peppadew peppers and here, I’ve simply stuffed the Peppadew cavity with herbed goat cheese. Next, I toss them in an oven-safe baking dish with a lovely pesto vinaigrette and bake until warm. The end result? A freaking delicious appetizer you will not be able to stop eating.
These Herby Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews are a great appetizer when entertaining because you can simply stuff the peppadews ahead of time and prep your pesto vinaigarette then when your guests arrive, drizzle the vinaigrette over the pre-stuffed peppers and bake for just 10 minutes! A delightful, homemade appetizer that will be on the table in no time!
SHOP THE POST.
Herby Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews
- 20 ounces Peppadew peppers, drained (about 30-35 peppers)
- 5 ounces herbed goat cheese log
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp pesto *I use store-bought
- ¼ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Carefully fill the cavity of the peppadew peppers with the herbed goat cheese.
- Place the stuffed peppers into a small, oven safe dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, white wine vinegar, and pesto until well combined. Drizzle ¾ of the mixture (reserving the last bit for later) over the stuffed peppers. Sprinkle the top with the chopped walnuts.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until hot, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and gently give the peppers a toss. Drizzle the top with the remaining pesto mixture. Serve immediately with toothpicks and enjoy!