This week, I was particularly craving fish. I went straight to my favorite local grocery store, Central Market, and walked back to the seafood section. Woah, they had some beautiful seafood available. But the one thing that jumped out at me was something that they had in the “prepared” section behind the glass. You know, the section where they have pre-marinated fish and crab cakes ready to go? That section. But they had something really different and unique this time– a stuffed salmon recipe.
It was a large piece of salmon sliced down the center on the top. Inside the crevice was a creamy spinach mixture, and the item was titled “Stuffed Rockefeller Salmon.” I was intrigued. I asked the fishmonger, What exactly is inside the mixture? His response: some cream cheese, spinach and lots of spices. Brilliant!
Instead of asking him to give me the prepared version– I instead asked him to do individual salmon portions and I went around gathering the ingredients I knew that I would need to make my own, Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon with a healthier spin. I grabbed some frozen chopped spinach, some Dairy-Free Cream Cheese, and I was off!
Instead of stuffing one large portion of salmon– I felt like the individual salmon portions would be easier to serve. I could only envision the mess of trying to serve up the whole, stuffed salmon. So I carved little pockets into the side and stuffed away with my own creamy, spinach creation. I loved the cajun touch that I added to my mixture, it just turned out soooo yummy.
So if you’re wanting a festive new salmon recipe– I can’t recommend this Easy Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon enough. Even my kids devoured it!!!
Love this recipe? Here are some more Salmon favorites:
Creamy Spinach Stuffed Salmon
For the Creamed Spinach filling:
- 10 oz. frozen, chopped spinach (thawed)
- 4 tbsp cream cheese I use Kite Hill Dairy Free Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp Louisiana Style Hot Sauce, plus more for serving I use Crystal's
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the Salmon:
- 4 [8-ounce] center cut salmon filets be sure to select a thicker, fattier salmon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- lemon wedges, for serving
- freshly chopped parsley optional, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Make the Creamy Spinach Stuffing:
- Place the thawed spinach in a cheese cloth (or a thin dish rag) and ring out excess moisture. Place in a medium sized bowl with the cream cheese, hot sauce, lemon zest, cajun seasoning, and garlic. Stir until well combined and set aside.
Stuff the Salmon:
- Place the salmon on a baking sheet and pat dry using a paper towel. Using a pairing knife, carefully make an incision on one side of the salmon. Cut until you've created a large pocket, being careful not to slice all the way through the salmon and also leaving at least 1/2 inch on each side.
- Carefully and evenly fill the pockets of the salmon with the creamy spinach. Drizzle the tops of the salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place into the oven and bake until salmon is just cooked through, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with lemon wedges and top with freshly chopped parsley, if desired. Oh, and don't forget to add a few dashes of the Crystal's Hot Sauce on top if you like a little extra heat. So good! Enjoy!