This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Finding a clean, Whole30 approved enchilada sauce isn’t very easy but you know what is easy? Making your own!! Here is a fun, smokier and spicier take on traditional enchilada sauce. If you love the flavor and heat of chipotle, you’re going to LOVE this Easy Chipotle Enchilada Sauce.
I love making this and pouring half of it in a mason jar and storing it in the freezer. That way, I can pull it out whenever I want to make something using enchilada sauce, like my Chipotle Chicken Enchiladas!! Try drizzling this Easy Chipotle Enchilada Sauce over a baked sweet potato that is stuffed with browned ground beef! Yummo!
- 1-2 tbsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. ghee
- 3 tbsp. arrowroot starch/flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 6oz. can tomato paste
- heat a saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add ghee and melt, then add the arrowroot, whisk until combined.
- Add in all of the spices and saute for about 1 minute (use only 1 tbsp of chipotle chili powder for medium spice. If you like it spicier, go for 2. I suggest making it with 1 first, tasting it then adding from there.)
- Now, pour in the broth and the tomato paste, and reduce heat to medium-low. Whisk until combined and thickened, about 3-5 minutes, and remove from heat.