Growing up in the South, Pimento Cheese is a staple. Whether it be for a social gathering, or just for lunch– the delicious cheesy concoction was one of those dishes loved by all! My mom made the most simple and incredible Pimento Cheese dip. I really need to have her share her recipe on here. It’s certainly not a recipe that is “healthy” but hey, we all love a little cheese dip here and there, right? With her recipe in mind, I created this Dairy-Free Pimento Chicken Salad.
Even though I do eat it, I try to not eat too much dairy mainly because it upsets my stomach a bit. I had a bunch of jarred pimentos in the pantry and some rotisserie chicken and I thought it would be fun to make a chicken salad version of my old cheesy favorite. It obviously DOES NOT taste like pimento cheese dip, I mean… there is no cheese in here for goodness sakes! haha, but it is a fun way to take some of the flavors from that beloved southern favorite and make a delicious chicken dip out of it.
I also love that this Dairy-Free Pimento Chicken Salad is a great make-ahead dish too. You can pre-pack your lunch by serving it over some greens, or just serving it with crackers and veggies for dipping! Heck, you can even put it on some bread and have a pimento chicken salad sandwich! You do you!
For a more ‘classic’ chicken salad, try my Whole30 Sonoma Chicken Salad recipe.
Pimento Chicken Salad
- 3 cups cooked and finely shredded chicken (*see notes) (I use Rotisserie)
- 4 tbsp mayo (I use Homemade)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 [4-ounce] jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place the finely shredded chicken (see notes below) in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Stir until very well combined.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper, if desired.
- I like to chill mine for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve with fresh cut veggies, crackers, or on sandwiches! However you please! Enjoy!