This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Growing up in the South, Pimento Cheese is a staple. Whether it be for a social gathering, or just for lunch– the delicious cheesy concoction was one of those dishes loved by all! My mom made the most simple and incredible Pimento Cheese dip. I really need to have her share her recipe on here. It’s certainly not a recipe that is “healthy” but hey, we all love a little cheese dip here and there, right? With her recipe in mind, I created this Dairy-Free Pimento Chicken Salad.
Even though I do eat it, I try to not eat too much dairy mainly because it upsets my stomach a bit. I had a bunch of jarred pimentos in the pantry and some rotisserie chicken and I thought it would be fun to make a chicken salad version of my old cheesy favorite. It obviously DOES NOT taste like pimento cheese dip, I mean… there is no cheese in here for goodness sakes! haha, but it is a fun way to take some of the flavors from that beloved southern favorite and make a delicious chicken dip out of it.
I also love that this Dairy-Free Pimento Chicken Salad is a great make-ahead dish too. You can pre-pack your lunch by serving it over some greens, or just serving it with crackers and veggies for dipping! Heck, you can even put it on some bread and have a pimento chicken salad sandwich! You do you!
For a more ‘classic’ chicken salad, try my Whole30 Sonoma Chicken Salad recipe.
Pimento Chicken Salad
- 3 cups cooked and finely shredded chicken (*see notes) (I use Rotisserie)
- 4 tbsp mayo (I use Homemade)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 [4-ounce] jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno, seeded and very finely chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper , or to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Place the finely shredded chicken (see notes below) in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Stir until very well combined.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper, if desired.
- I like to chill mine for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve with fresh cut veggies, crackers, or on sandwiches! However you please! Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.