Rain or shine, it’s always time for a bowl of soup in my book. My husband hates when I make soup and it’s not raining (even if he thinks the soup is delicious), he just finds it odd that one would want soup on a hot day? I say soup it up! And soup it up with this Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup!
I am a huge fan of potato-leek soup and this is a variation of it with a ton of broccoli in it for more flavor and more greens! It’s dairy-free and still super creamy, thanks to the addition of the potatoes and the coconut milk.
Next time you’re stuffed from the weekend and want a nice and clean meatless Monday, give this Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup a try. It’s light, yet filling and very yummy! Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1.5 cups diced celery
- 1.5 cups diced carrot
- 1 leek (white and green part sliced thin) cleaned of all sand
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups broccoli florets about 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 cups Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- chives for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add chopped garlic, onions, celery, carrots, and leek seasoned with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, potato, broth, thyme, bay leaf. Season again with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Simmer covered for 30-45 minutes, or until potatoes and broccoli are fork tender.
- Remove bay leaf, stir in coconut milk.
- Using an immersion blender or blender, blend soup until smooth. Serve and enjoy (I garnished mine with some freshly chopped chives and even topped it off with some more crushed red pepper flakes!)