This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These Chipotle Steak Taco Bowls are packed with flavor and perfect for weeknight dinner or meal prep for the week.
Whether you’re doing a Whole30, or just trying to cook more at home in the new year, flavorful sauces and an arsenal of seasonings are key to making homemade meals feel more like those from your favorite restaurants. Here, the special sauce is the Pepita Scallion Dressing, which is a mix between a pesto and a jalapeño crema. It takes this bowl to the next level – and is great as a dip with fresh veggies if you have extra.
If you’re not doing a Whole30 or eating paleo, rice would also be great addition to these Chipotle Style Steak Taco Bowls.
Also, don’t let this ingredient list intimidate you! While there are a few components, you’re only cooking the steak and the peppers, making this very weeknight-friendly. You can also prep the Pepita Scallion Dressing up to a week in advance and chop the veggies ahead of time to make this come together even faster. All components stay well in the fridge and can be assembled for dinner or for weekday lunches.
I hope you enjoy these bowls as much as I do!
Chipotle Style Steak Taco Bowls
For the Steak:
- 4 tbsp avocado oil divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- ¼ cup beef broth
- 2 lb. skirt steak or flap steak - trimmed of excess fat and patted dry
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
For the Pepita Scallion Dressing:
- ½ cup toasted pepitas
- 1 jalapeño seeds removed for less heat
- 4 scallions - white and green parts roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - peeled
- 1 ½ cups packed cilantro - roughly chopped plus more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice - about the juice of one lime
- 3 Tbsp. fresh orange juice - about the juice of half an orange
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. warm water - plus more as needed
For the Peppers and Onions:
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 small white onion - sliced thin
- 3 bell peppers red, orange, and yellow - de-ribbed and sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
For the Salad:
- 1 large head romaine - chopped
- 6 cups finely shredded red and green cabbage
- 1 large shallot - very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas
- 2 avocados - diced
- Lime wedges
- Pickled onions - optional
Prepare the Steak:
- In the bottom of a crockpot, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the avocado oil, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, lime juice, salsa verde and beef broth until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, sear both sides of the steak until a golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the browned steak into the crockpot and nestle into the sauce. Seal the lid on your crockpot and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 to 10 hours.
- When the cook time is complete, using two forks, shred the meat. Leave in the crockpot on warm while you prepare the rest of the bowls.
Make the Pepita Scallion Dressing:
- In a high-speed blender, or food processor, add the pepitas, jalapeño, green onions, and garlic. Pulse for about 30 seconds until you have a fine crumb. Add in the cilantro, red wine vinegar, lime juice, orange juice, and salt. Pulse until the mixture is mostly smooth. With the motor running on low-medium, stream in the olive oil. Blend until completely smooth. If the blender needs a bit of help, slowly stream in warm water in tablespoon increments until the desired texture is reached. It will be a bit thinner than a pesto, but still textured. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook the Veggies:
- In a large cast iron pan, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and season with salt. Sauté, tossing the peppers so they pick up the seasoning from the steak. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the lime juice to deglaze the pan, tossing to combine. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
Assemble the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl add the shredded cabbage. Spoon in about a tablespoon of dressing. Using tongs, massage the dressing into the cabbage to break it down a bit. Add the romaine and shallots and toss again. Toss in the pepitas and a bit more dressing, mixing until all the greens are well coated.
- To serve, divide the greens evenly amongst 4 bowls. Top with an equal amount of peppers and steak. Garnish with avocado, lime juice, and cilantro. Enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Photography and styling by Eat Love Eats.