This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
So you have a bag of dried black beans, and you want something to do with it? Try this simple, yet absolutely delicious Black Bean Soup.
It’s got a hint of spicy, a little tang, and it is just comforting and delicious. Not to mention– extremely easy to make! I know you’ll love this bowl of comforting soup.
Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb dried black beans *presoaked, see note
- 4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 [32-ounce] carton chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For Serving (all optional):
- sour cream or greek yogurt Kite Hill has a great DF Sour Cream
- cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Presoak the Beans *see note:
- Rinse the beans and pick out any stones. Then add beans to a large bowl and fill with water until covered by 2 inches. Leave to soak overnight. Drain and rinse before cooking.
Make the Soup:
- In a large pot over medium heat, add bacon pieces and cook, stirring, until they are lighty browned on the edges, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the onion, serrano, salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, oregano, cumin, chili powder, paprika and toast the spices, about 1 minute-- stirring constantly to be careful not to burn-- to bring out the flavor.
- Add the beans (drained + rinsed), the broth, and the bay leaves. Bring contents in the pot to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook until the beans are tender, about 2 hours-- stirring occasionally.
- When the beans are tender, transfer 1.5 cups of the soup (make sure you don't have the bay leaves in there) to a blender and blend until smooth. Add pureed beans back into the soup for some texture. Stir in the lemon juice. Taste, add more salt if desired.
- Serve black bean soup as is OR you can top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro. I also love to serve mine with hot sauce and fritos! 🙂 enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.