This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Spring is here and the weather is starting to warm up and the sun is shining more, YAY! When the sun is shining we love dining al fresco in our backyard, and these Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Coleslaw and Avocado Crema are the perfect thing to eat while watching the kids run around outside. They are fresh, delicious, filling and easy to make.
These fish tacos are rather simple, really. Coated in a delicious spice blend and seared stovetop (you could totally opt to grill them if you’d prefer) and served in grain-free tortillas with a delicious mango slaw and topped with a dairy-free avocado crema. I absolutely love the combination spicy fish topped with the cool mango and avocado crema. It’s perfect for a warm, sunny day!
So, no matter what day of the week it is, these Baja Fish Tacos with Mango Coleslaw and Avocado Crema are always a good choice. Also, if you are trying to keep it Whole30, be sure to check out my very similar and Whole30 Fish Taco Bowl rendition. I kept these Paleo by using Siete Foods Coconut and Cassava tortillas, which I buy in the fridge section at Whole Foods, or in the freezer sections at Natural Grocers, Central Market, and HEB! They are my favorite grain-free tortillas!
- 24 oz. mahi mahi (or other white flakey fish such as halibut), cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine)
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 head red cabbage, sliced very thin
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced fine
- juice of 3 limes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Cup Homemade Mayo
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- Siete Coconut and Cassava Flour Tortillas
- Fresh cilantro
- Pico De Gallo
- Avocado Crema
- Place fish in a large bowl. In a small bowl, mix together oil and spices and pour over fish along with the lemon juice. Let sit at room temperature at least 15 minutes, or up to 4 hours covered in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, mix the cabbage, mango, jalapeno, and lime juice in large bowl and toss to coat. Season generously. This can be done up to a day ahead.
- To make the avocado crema, combine the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To cook the fish, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear about 2-3 minutes per side. While the fish is cooking, warm the tortillas over a burner on low heat until slightly charred on the edges.
- To assemble the tacos, put the slaw on bottom, followed by the fish, and top with avocado crema. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, or some pico de gallo-whatever you like!