Holy $#@%! I am in Whole30 heaven with this Orange Chicken stir fry!
I love that this Panda Express-inspired Orange Chicken is one the whole family can enjoy, my kiddos loved it and so did I (obviously). It’s saucy, savory, tangy and one that you’ll come back to making ALL THE TIME!
Whole30 Chinese Orange Chicken
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot flour
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1- inch chunk ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 scallion sliced (green part only)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds or to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and ginger. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts against the grain into thin strips. Season with salt and pepper all over and toss to coat evenly. Now add arrowroot flour and toss to coat evenly.
- Heat avocado oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add chicken to the hot skillet and spread so that it is in a single layer if possible. Sear on all sides until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add sliced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds with the chicken, being careful not to burn.
- Add chicken broth and using a sturdy spoon, scrape up as much brown bits as possible.
- Pour in the sauce, toss to coat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until sauce is thick and reduced by nearly half, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ¾ of the orange zest (reserve the rest for garnish).
- Serve and garnish with sliced scallions, crushed red pepper flakes, toasted sesame seeds and little orange zest.
Victoria NeikirkJune 27, 2022 at 11:34 pm
Absolutely fantastic meal!! Amazing flavors, measurements were perfect! Thank you!!
LeanneApril 8, 2022 at 11:53 pm
How many servings does this yield?
AlexApril 10, 2022 at 4:18 pm
JulyFebruary 18, 2022 at 2:10 am
I’m not sure what happened but the sauce came out super snotty! Is this recipe in the defined dish cook book? I couldn’t find it
AlexFebruary 24, 2022 at 7:17 pm
Hi!!! I have a Paleo Lemon Chicken in the new book (The Comfortable Kitchen) that you can find!
DebbieDecember 11, 2021 at 12:47 am
Love this – so much flavor! My husband loves every one of your recipes & that is saying a lot. Thank you!
Caitlin ShearyOctober 28, 2021 at 3:02 am
So good! All of your recipes are hits in our house!
AlexOctober 28, 2021 at 12:30 pm
so happy you enjoy!!
MeghanOctober 19, 2021 at 9:57 pm
Is rice vinegar okay for Whole30 or should we sub for that?
AlexOctober 20, 2021 at 4:54 pm
Yes, rice vinegar is Whole30 compatible!
HaleyOctober 18, 2021 at 11:39 pm
This was great Alex! I love your stir frys
Jen PowersAugust 16, 2021 at 2:29 am
Another winner! So easy, so delicious!!
GabbyJune 23, 2021 at 8:58 pm
Can you make this a day in advance?
AlexJune 24, 2021 at 11:49 am
Hi! It’s best the day of, but you can definitely meal prep this and reheat. It’s still delicious.
Stephanie @ Long Distance BakingMay 11, 2021 at 12:49 am
Made this tonight and it was a hit! Love how quick it comes together as well
KellyMarch 3, 2021 at 1:26 pm
This recipe is SO GOOD!! I’ve made it 3 times now abs everyone loves it.