Holy $#@%! I am in Whole30 heaven with this Orange Chicken stir fry!
I love that this Panda Express-inspired Orange Chicken is one the whole family can enjoy, my kiddos loved it and so did I (obviously). It’s saucy, savory, tangy and one that you’ll come back to making ALL THE TIME!
Whole30 Chinese Orange Chicken
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot flour
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1- inch chunk ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/3 cup orange juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 scallion sliced (green part only)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds or to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- In a bowl, whisk together the orange juice, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and ginger. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts against the grain into thin strips. Season with salt and pepper all over and toss to coat evenly. Now add arrowroot flour and toss to coat evenly.
- Heat avocado oil and sesame oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet.
- Add chicken to the hot skillet and spread so that it is in a single layer if possible. Sear on all sides until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Add sliced garlic and saute for about 30 seconds with the chicken, being careful not to burn.
- Add chicken broth and using a sturdy spoon, scrape up as much brown bits as possible.
- Pour in the sauce, toss to coat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until sauce is thick and reduced by nearly half, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the ¾ of the orange zest (reserve the rest for garnish).
- Serve and garnish with sliced scallions, crushed red pepper flakes, toasted sesame seeds and little orange zest.