This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
There is nothing like feeding the family with a whole roasted chicken. It’s one of those easy dishes that everyone loves and you can change up the flavors in so many ways. In this 5 ingredient challenge recipe I kept things super simple and opted to use a store-bought seasoning blend. One of my favorite seasoning blends is the Frontier Co-op adobo seasoning. It’s got great flavor and my family adores it, and I really love that it makes weeknight cooking easier. Here, I simply smothered a whole chicken in it and roasted it until juicy on the inside, and crisp on the outside. yum!
To keep ingredients at a minimum, I served this chicken with a simple arugula, tomato and avocado salad dressed in olive oil and red wine vinegar. Ideally, some sliced red onion would have made the salad perfect. But a challenge is a challenge. 5 ingredients it is 😉
If you love whole roasted chicken, you gotta give these two recipes a try: Peruvian-Inspired Whole Roasted Chicken with tangy “green sauce” or my Whole Roasted Greek Chicken and Potatoes.
Please note that as part of the #5ingredientwhole30 challenge, I do not count salt, pepper, oil, vinegar or some additional garnishes. They are, more or less, 5 ingredient meals that I hope inspire you to keep things simple and delicious in your kitchen.
Whole Roasted Adobo Chicken with Avocado + Tomato Salad
- 1 [3.5 - 4 lb] whole chicken
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp Frontier Co-op Adobo Seasoning (or any seasoning mixture of your choice works here!)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For the Salad:
- 1 large avocado, Cut in half lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise, then sliced
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, large chunks
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Roast the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and arrange a rack in the center of the oven.
- Next, Spatchcock the chicken by using kitchen shears to remove the backbone. Rinse chicken (inside and out) and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and adobo seasoning. Whisk to combine.
- Place the chicken, cavity side up, in an oven safe cast iron skillet or sheetpan. Using 1/4 of the adobo mixture, brush the cavity side of the chicken. Flip the chicken over and brush remaining oil mixture on top of chicken. Season the top with a kosher salt and pepper.
- Transfer to the oven and roast in the oven , uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 155 to 160 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover the skillet tightly with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
Make the Salad:
- In a bowl, combine the avocado, tomato, and arugula. Drizzle with the olive oil and gently toss to coat. Add the salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar and gently toss once more until well combined.
- Serve with the roasted adobo chicken and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.