This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One of my favorite salads of all time for the summer is Ina Garten’s Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad. It’s seriously the most refreshing, delicious salad that goes well with anything grilled! If you haven’t made it yet, I strongly encourage you to do so now! It inspired this Summer Kale and Watermelon Salad.
This kale salad is just another variation of Ina’s that I whipped up with ingredients that I already had on hand. I love the addition of cucumber with the salad and goat cheese seems to be a little more gentle on my stomach, so I subbed the feta for goat cheese here. If you are doing a Whole30, leave out the goat cheese and just make sure your balsamic vinegar is compliant, and you are set with a fantastic Summer Kale and Watermelon Salad! Enjoy!
- 1 bunch of red or green kale
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups diced seedless watermelon
- 1.5 cups diced cucumber, peeled
- 1/4 red onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles (omit if Whole30)
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Remove kale from stem (discard the stem) and chop into small, bite sized pieces.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped kale with the olive oil, lemon juice and the balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to coat once more.
- Add the remaining ingredients on top of the kale salad.
- Serve as is or toss once more so that all ingredients are evenly distributed in the salad.