If you’re looking for a great meatless, easy weeknight meal that comes together in just about 20 minutes, these Portobello Lettuce Cups are delightful!
Recently, a lot of you have been requesting more plant-based/vegetarian recipes, which is something I haven’t done as much of in the past! However, I’ve also been trying to cut back a bit on eating meat (although let’s be clear, I very much still consume meat) and mushrooms have become one of my favorite ‘meaty’ veggies to cook with as a replacement!
In this recipe, the portobello mushrooms soak up a delicious Asian-inspired sauce that is salty, slightly sweet, and a bit spicy. There is also an added crunch from the water chestnuts which I love, and then it is all served inside lettuce cups for a delightful meal or appetizer! Alternatively, you could also serve this over cauliflower rice for a meatless bowl option. No matter how you serve, you will love the flavor!
And for more meatless options, be sure to check out this round-up!
Portobello Lettuce Cups
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 5 portobello mushroom caps , diced large
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large shallot diced small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large fresno chile very thinly sliced
- 1 [8-ounce] can water chestnuts, drained and loosely chopped
- ¼ cup loosely chopped cilantro leaves
- Butter lettuce for serving
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut aminos, fish sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger powder and arrowroot. Whisk until well combined and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with avocado oil. When the oil is hot, add the shallot and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the shallots are just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt, fresno chile and water chestnuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce and stir to combine. Allow the sauce to thicken, which should only take about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve in lettuce cups and enjoy!