We absolutely love our super easy Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken recipe!! It is so, so easy to make and you can do so many things with it! These Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are just another variation on how you can use this chicken in a fun, creative way — and boy are they good! Such a great recipe to whip up when serving a large group that everyone is sure to enjoy, even the kiddos! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Ingredients (Serves 6):
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup Salsa Verde (We recommend Mrs. Renfro’s Jalapeno Green Salsa for spicy lovers, or Herdez for mild)
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup Low Sodium, Organic Chicken Broth
- 8 oz. Reduced-Fat Sour Cream
- 12 oz. Pacific Organic Cream of Chicken Soup
- 4 oz. Diced Green Chiles
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- 12-15 Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas (soft taco size)
- 1/4 cup loosely chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Season with salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. of cumin. Place seasoned chicken breasts in the bottom of the Crockpot. Now place sliced onion over the chicken breasts, 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth, and 1 cup of salsa verde. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.
2. When the crockpot cook time is complete, remove the chicken onto a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken. Place the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and keep on “warm” until ready to make your enchiladas!
3. When you are ready to start prepping your enchiladas, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
4. In a saucepan over low heat, mix together sour cream, cream of chicken soup, 1/4 cup of chicken broth, 2 tbsp. lime juice, and the can of green chiles. Heat through slowly on low while you make the enchiladas but watch carefully and stir every 5 minutes to prevent burning and boiling. (Do NOT let this get to a boil or things will get NASTY.)
5. Using a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer the chicken into a large bowl, leaving behind most of the juices in the crockpot. Add 1 cup of the shredded cheese with the chicken, stir to combine.
6. Heat up your tortillas for about 15 seconds in the microwave to make them a bit more flexible so they don’t break easily. Spoon about 2 tbsp. of the chicken mixture into each tortilla, roll tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish.
7. Pour the sour cream sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup of the shredded cheese (optional). Place in preheated oven, on the middle rack, and bake uncovered for about 25 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
8. Remove from oven, top with chopped cilantro. Serve and enjoy!!