The weather is starting to warm up and all I want to do is sit in my backyard, watch the kids play, and grill some freaking good food like these Jalapeño Chicken Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Aioli. That sounds amazing, right?
Burgers are obviously one of the first things that come to mind when daydreaming about a day in the backyard. I thought it would be fun to ‘spice things up’ a bit because, well, I love spicy and all. Here is a fun, easy, and really delicious chicken burger that I know y’all are going to just love. In fact, when I asked my husband “what do you think” his response was, “REALLY good actually.” Uh Clayton, what do you mean by ‘actually’? Did you think it was going to be gross? I think in his mind he just thought a chicken burger would be pretty dry and boring. But, to his surprise, I used chicken thighs so they were juicy and with the flavor additions I included they were just so absolutely delicious and full of flavor. So ha! Take that, Clayton!
I encourage you to show off your burger making skills with these Jalapeño Chicken Burgers with Cilantro-Lime Aioli…you’ll just love them!
- 2 lbs. ground chicken thighs
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, well whisked
- 2 tbsp. olive or avocado oil, for cooking
- 1/2 cup homemade mayo
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the ground chicken, jalapeno, red onion, bell pepper, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, and egg. Using your hands, mix until the meat is well combined.
- Using a measuring cup, scoop out 1/2 cup of the meat mixture and form into round hamburger patties.
- Heat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat with 2 tbsp. oil. When hot, but not smoking, place patties in the skillet but do not overcrowd the pan, you will need to do this in a few batches (i did 3 at a time). Reduce heat to medium and sear on each side until golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Transfer cooked burgers to a paper towel lined plate and continue until all of the burgers are complete.