This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
So, you guys all know how much I’ve been loving my new Instant Pot, it’s seriously the best thing since sliced bread. Like, perfectly tender, full of flavor shredded taco beef in 45 minutes! Yes!! And the meat in this Instant Pot Flank Steak Taco Salads is close to perfect.
This shredded beef can be used in any way your heart desires. I served mine up taco salad style, but the possibilities are endless: try it in lettuce cup tacos, in mini bell pepper nachos, stuffed in bell peppers for dinner, in enchiladas, the list goes on and on!!
- 2 lb. flank steak
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional for spicy!)
- Turn instant pot on "saute" mode.
- Add oil in the bottom of the pot and when warm, add onions and saute with a little salt and pepper until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cut flank steak into smaller hunks of meat (about 6 inch hunks) and season them well with salt and pepper all over.
- While still on the "saute" function. Add the steak and sear on each side until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add in the salsa verde, broth, chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste. Toss using tongs to combine evenly.
- Press the "Cancel/keep warm" button.
- Now press the "Manual" button and turn it down to 45 minutes on high pressure.
- Seal and cook until time is done. When time is complete, turn the valve from sealing to venting to release the pressure quickly.
- When pressure is released, using tongs transfer the meat onto a cutting board and using two forks, shred the meat. Discard all but about 1/4 cup of the excess liquid in the instant pot. Place the meat back into the instant pot and toss in the liquid until it is all soaked up.
- Serve taco salad style, in tacos, on nachos, stuffed in peppers, or however you please!! Enjoy!
- For crockpot: Place all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10.