This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Finding a healthy, hearty, comforting, make-ahead appetizer to bring along to a party during the holiday season is pretty tricky sometimes. But this Creole Crab Dip is about to change your life!
This dip is one of those dips that no one at the party will know is Whole30 compliant. It’s oh-so rich and creamy and perfect to please a crowd with either crudite or even crackers if you please. You can add cheese on top, if you’d like also. It’s all up to you! You’re the boss!
I love the subtle, spicy flavors of cajun seasoning within the Creole Crab Dip, it pairs perfectly with the creamy crab dip and really elevates the dish. It’s also great to make ahead and refrigerate, and just bake right before you are ready to serve! I love those kinds of appetizers!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely diced (or 1/2 medium onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 cups cashews, *pre-soaked and drained (see note)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup low-sodium broth (chicken or vegetable works)
- 16 oz fresh lump crab meat (if its from the can it needs to be drained)
- 3/4 cup homemade or primal kitchen’s mayo
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced (or 3 green onions)
- 2 cups baby spinach, freshly chopped
- 1/4 cup white sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onions and garlic and gently sauté, stirring, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed onions and garlic to a high powered blender along with the cashews, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and broth. Blend on high power until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat, mayo, cashew cream mixture, cayenne, oregano, rosemary, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, green onions and spinach. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- Place crab dip in a small, oven safe baking dish and bake until the mixture is warm and bubbly and lightly browned on the top. About 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with crudite. Enjoy!
- Note: To make the cashew cream sauce, you must use pre-soaked cashews. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water. Soak cashews for at least 4 hours or up to overnight to soften. Drain before using.