A Whole30 twist on one of my favorite soups — Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup!
One of my favorite things to eat in the City of Dallas is the tortilla soup from The Mansion at Turtle Creek. If you’re from Dallas, you know exactly what I am referring to… and if you ever make a trip to Dallas, be sure to make a brunch stop at The Mansion. It’s over the top fancy, but a Dallas staple nonetheless. Their delicious soup inspired this Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup.
Their tortilla soup is thick, creamy, and packed with flavor. They bring you a bowl of all the garnishes and gently pour the luscious soup right over the top. It’s just so darn good.
I knew I had to recreate a Whole30 version in my kitchen. It’s tortilla-less, but I swear it’s as close to the real deal as you can get! This Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup is one of my favorite recipes I have made in a while, so please go out there and make it. ENJOY!
Find more soup + stew recipes here.
Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped (**optional! taste your roasted green chiles and see how spicy those are first. If they don't have much spice to it, then add the jalapeno)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups strained tomatoes such as pomi brand
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup jarred canned or frozen roasted *mild* green chiles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup full-fat unsweetened coconut milk (blended so that it isn't separated)
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- cilantro for serving
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, strained tomatoes, green chiles, bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Discard the bay leaf and then, blend soup until smooth using an immersion blender or blender.
- Add the coconut milk and stir in to combine.
- Taste, add salt and pepper if needed.
- To serve, place shredded chicken on the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over. Top with the avocado, garnish of cilantro and serve with lime.