One of my favorite things to eat in the City of Dallas is the tortilla soup from The Mansion at Turtle Creek. If you’re from Dallas, you know exactly what I am referring to… and if you ever make a trip to Dallas, be sure to make a brunch stop at The Mansion. It’s over the top fancy, but a Dallas staple nonetheless. Their delicious soup inspired this Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup.
Their tortilla soup is thick, creamy, and packed with flavor. They bring you a bowl of all the garnishes and gently pour the luscious soup right over the top. It’s just so darn good.
I knew I had to recreate a Whole30 version in my kitchen. It’s tortilla-less, but I swear it’s as close to the real deal as you can get! This Creamy Tortilla-Less Soup is one of my favorite recipes I have made in a while, so please go out there and make it. ENJOY!
Find more soup + stew recipes here.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (**optional!! taste your roasted green chiles and see how spicy those are first. If they don't have much spice to it, then add the jalapeno**)
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups strained tomatoes (such as pomi brand)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup jarred, canned or frozen roasted *mild* green chiles
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (blended so that it isn't separated)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced
- cilantro, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the onions, garlic, and jalapeno and season with a little salt and pepper. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, strained tomatoes, green chiles, bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- Discard the bayleaf and then, blend soup until smooth using an immersion blender or blender.
- Add the coconut milk and stir in to combine.
- Taste, add salt and pepper if needed.
- Place shredded chicken and diced avocado to a bottom of a bowl. Ladle soup over. Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime.