Shrimp Tacos are a great summer dinner dish. Shrimp is light, plus it is easy and quick to cook. Just load them up on a taco with all your fixings and call it a day! We marinated our shrimp in a chipotle-lime concoction and it was absolutely delicious! If you aren’t into spicy, then these tacos are probably NOT for you, they have a good kick to them, or try just using 1 chipotle instead of two– a little bit goes a long way with those peppers! My husband and I thought 2 chipotles were the perfect kick so if you like spicy, you are going to LOVE this Chipotle-Lime Shrimp Tacos with Mexican “Crema” recipe!
Chipotle-Lime Shrimp Tacos with Mexican “Crema” Ingredients:
- 1 lb. peeled, deveined shrimp with tails removed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced + 1 tbsp. of the adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
For the Greek Yogurt “Crema”:
- 3/4 cup of Chobani Non- Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Rinse shrimp then lay out on a paper towel to pat dry. Season one side with salt and pepper.
2. Place shrimp in a large ziplock bag. Add in: olive oil, minced chilpoltes, 1 tbsp. adobo sauce, 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and chopped red onion. Seal bag and shake well so that all ingredients are well blended. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or all day (preferable).
3. Now, lets make the Mexican “Crema”: Combine all crema ingredients (3/4 cup greek yogurt, 2 tbsp. lime juice, 2 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper). Whisk together and set aside, or cover and refrigerate if you are making in advance. (You can cover and refrigerate for as long as the greek yogurt expiration date says.)
4. When you are ready to eat, remove the shrimp marinading from the fridge and let sit out for 10 minutes before cooking (this is a good time to chop and prepare all of your garnish). Next, heat a large skillet over medium-medium high heat. Pour entire contents of the zip lock bag with shrimp and marinade into the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is cooked through, about ?? minutes. Add in the chopped cilantro, and cook for 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
5. Create your tacos by layering a tortilla, the shredded cabbage, the shrimp, some cubed avocado, a drizzle of the crema and served with a wedge of lime!