Yum! Tender beef sirloin in a savory-sweet sauce with delicious onions and peppers? We’ll take it any night of the week! This easy, oh-so delicious 30 minute meal is such a great go-to, as most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry. And, if they aren’t already once you buy them once, they last for so long! This is a new favorite that everyone in the family can enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 2 people):
- 1 lb. top beef sirloin or skirt steak
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, core and seeds removed, then sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup organic tamari (or light soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. organic cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp. sriracha (optional)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup of Grapeseed oil or Vegetable oil
1. In a bowl, whisk together tamari, honey, cornstarch, water, sriracha and rice vinegar. Set aside.
2. Slice steak, against the grain, into thin strips.
3. Heat 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. When hot, add the onions, steak and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often to brown all sides of the steak evenly. The steak will not be cooked through, there should still be some pink to it.
4. Add the sliced green bell peppers, saute for 2 more minutes.
5. Whisk the sauce mixture once more, and pour into the skillet with the steak and veggies. Also, add in the sliced mushrooms at this time. Let boil for about 2 minutes over the medium-high heat, then turn heat down to low. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes (if you don’t have a very hot stovetop and it isn’t simmering, turn it to medium-low). The peppers should be nice and tender and the sauce should have thickened quite a bit. Be sure to stir pretty often so the sauce doesn’t burn!
6. Serve and enjoy!! It tastes great by itself but would also go great over quinoa, brown rice, or jasamine rice if you want to add a starch to soak up all of the delicious sauce. If you serve it with rice, it could feed 3-4. If you aren’t serving over rice, will feed 2-3.