This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you know, you know. And if you don’t. let me introduce you to the goodness that is “Chicken Lizzie” Bites!
While I do not know the origin of Chicken Lizzie Bites, I do know that I grew up on them and still cannot get enough of them! They are essentially bacon-wrapped chicken bites that are further flavored with sliced jalapeño, cheddar cheese, barbecue sauce, and maple syrup. They are the perfect combination of sweet, savory, smoky, and spicy bite. What more could you want in an appetizer?
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Chicken Breasts or Tenders
- Barbecue Sauce
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper
Step One: Prep the Chicken
You’ll start by adding your sliced chicken to a large bowl with the barbecue sauce, salt, and pepper. I love that you rely on the flavor of store-bought barbecue sauce so this recipe to limit your ingredient list!
Step Two: Assemble the Bites
To assemble, one piece of chicken at a time, you’ll add a piece of chicken to the end of a slice of bacon. Top with a piece of cheese and a slice of the pickled jalapeño then roll and secure with a toothpick. Continue until all the chicken is wrapped! Once all the chicken is wrapped, brush on the maple syrup and season with additional black pepper. While these are overall simple to make, assembling can take a bit of time but I promise it is well worth it.
Step Three: Hit the Grill then Enjoy
Now, it’s time to get grilling! You’ll need to rotate the bites every 3 to 4 minutes to make sure the bacon doesn’t burn before the chicken is cooked though, so just keep an eye on that. Remove from grill, add to a platter then enjoy!
You all will seriously be enjoying these Chicken Lizzie Bites all summer long and I cannot wait to hear what you think!
Chicken Lizzie Bites
- 1 pound chicken breasts or tenders cut 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 12 slices of bacon cut in half crosswise
- 24 slices of pickled jalapeños about ½ cup
- ½ block of sharp cheddar cheese cut into ¼-inch-thick cubes
- 24 toothpicks
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken barbecue sauce, salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper. Toss until well-coated.
- One at a time, place a piece of chicken onto the end of a slice of bacon, top with cheese then a slice of jalapeños. Carefully roll then secure with a toothpick. Continue until all the chicken is wrapped.
- Once all chicken is wrapped, brush one side of the bites with the maple syrup. Season evenly with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Heat the grill over medium heat (about 350F) and oil the grill grates (to do this, dip a wadded paper towel in a little oil and, using tongs, wipe the oil evenly over the grates. Be careful not to use too much oil, because that's a sure-fire way to start a good flare-up—a little goes a long way here.)
- Carefully place the chicken bites on the outer edge of the grill, where they aren’t directly over the fire but close to it (as they flame up easily) and cook until the bacon fat has rendered and the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes total, carefully rotating the bites every 3-4 minutes so that they cook evenly. The lid should be closed throughout the cooking process, unless you are flipping them.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Food Photography and Styling by Eat Love Eats.