Everyone loves Chicken Milanese, a crispy pan-fried and lightly breaded Italian Chicken cutlet. Pretty much, it’s a dang grown-up chicken tender is what it is let’s be honest. Plus, it’s super adult-y served next to an arugula salad 😉 So why not make it even more fun with this Buffalo-Style Chicken Milanese!
I recently shared a grain-free rendition of Chicken Milanese and it’s been a huge hit! I thought it might be fun to play with the flavors a bit and give it a Buffalo-style twist using Tessemae’s Buffalo Mild Hot Sauce and Buffalo Ranch. I think it’s such a fun play on flavors for a weeknight meal that you will just LOVE. It’s got some spicy, lots of crunch, and is just straight-up delicious. So all you folks out there that seriously love buffalo sauce as much as I do, you’re going to devour this dish!!
I also love that I’ve also taken something that is usually casual (chicken wings) and just elevated them a bit with this Buffalo-Style Chicken Milanese. It’s pretty much taken all of the fixins in a basket of wings (buffalo chicken, celery, carrots, and ranch) and transformed into something unique and fun! The Chicken cutlet makes it feel a bit more like a meal than an appetizer, and my favorite part is the buffalo-ranch dressed arugula, shaved carrot, and shaved celery salad.
Buffalo-Style Chicken Milanese
For the Crispy Buffalo Chicken Cutlet:
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup Tessemae's Mild Buffalo Sauce
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 (1/4) tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp Avocado oil
For the Salad:
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups (loosely packed) shaved carrots (about 2 medium carrots) I use a Y-peeler to do this
- 1 cup shaved celery (or 1 large stalk) I use a Y-peeler to do this
- 1/4 cup Tessemae's Buffalo Ranch or more if desired
Marinade the Chicken:
- Place your palm flat against the top of each chicken breast and carefully slice each piece in half horizontally; you'll be left with 4 thinner chicken breast pieces. Place each chicken cutlet between 2 sheets of waxed paper and use the smooth side of a mallet (or a rolling pin) to pound them until they're very thin.
- Place the cutlets in a bowl with the buffalo sauce. Toss until well coated and set aside while you prepare the salad.
Make the Salad:
- In a bowl, combine the arugula, shaved carrot, shaved celery, and sliced onion. Set aside.
Cook the Chicken:
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, kosher salt and pepper. Using a fork, mix until well combined and there are no clumps.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg and the water and whisk until well combined and frothy.
- Using one hand, grab a chicken breast and shake off the excess buffalo sauce. Dip the chicken breasts in the egg and flip to coat both sides, shake off excess. Using your other hand, then immediately dredge in the almond flour mixture to coat evenly all over. Shake off excess coating. Set on a clean plate and continue until all of the chicken is coated. (Using separate hands for each station prevents your hands getting too caked in the mixture and makes it easier to work with the chicken).
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot (but not smoking) place the chicken into the skillet and fry until golden brown on each side and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer cooked chicken to a wire rack until ready to serve.
Plate the Dish:
- Pour desired amount of the buffalo ranch over the salad and toss until coated evenly.
- Serve salad alongside the crispy chicken cutlet, and drizzle chicken with more buffalo sauce, if desired! Enjoy!