This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Growing up, my Aunt Leigh’s Broccoli and Carrot Pasta was made every time we stayed with her. It’s a simple, easy pasta dish that will make everyone fall in love with vegetables!
It’s really nothing all that impressive; however, it’s one of those great everyday dishes you can make for you and your family and feel great about. As a kid, I always ate my veggies so well when I had this bowl of pasta and now that I have kids of my own, I love seeing them do the same!
My hope is that you enjoy Aunt Leigh’s Broccoli and Carrot Pasta in your own homes as much as I did growing up and as much as my girls do now! A special thank you to my dear Aunt Leigh who has always been so supporting and loving to me all of my life. I am so grateful for her.
Aunt Leigh’s Broccoli and Carrot Pasta
- 12 ounces fusilli pasta I use Jovial Brown Rice for Gluten-Free *can sub elbows, shells, or any type of pasta here
- 4 cups broccoli florets or 1 head
- 2 cups peeled and sliced carrots or 2 carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
- Kosher salt to taste
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon about 2 tbsp
- ½ tsp black pepper or to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan for serving
- Crushed red pepper flakes optional for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add the broccoli florets and carrots to a steamer basket and place it in saucepan filled with the chicken broth or water. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Let steam for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the broccoli and carrots are crisp-tender. Remove from heat and set aside until the pasta is cooked.
- When the water in the pot is boiling, add the pasta and a heavy pinch of salt (about 1 tbsp) and stir to combine. Cook until al dente, according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- In a deep skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cooked pasta and steamed vegetables and toss to coat in the butter. Add the shredded cheese, the lemon juice, and ½ cup of the reserved pasta water and gently toss until the cheese melts and is incorporated into the pasta, about 4 minutes to ensure it’s well combined. If your pasta seems a little dry, add ¼ cup of the remaining pasta water at a time and toss into the pasta. Season with kosher salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve topped with freshly grated parmesan and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.