This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ahi Tuna Tartare might sound intimidating, but it’s actually extremely easy to make and is certain to impress your guests. The only key is finding “sushi-grade” tuna steaks. I recently discovered that both Central Market and Whole Foods carry Sushi Grade Tuna in the frozen section… and it is GOOD. Now, I am going to be an Ahi Tuna Tartare making freak!
- approx. 1 lb. sushi-grade tuna steaks (I buy mine from Central Market or Whole Foods in the Freezer Section!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. organic tamari
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. sriracha (or less, to taste)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Using a very sharp knife, cut tuna into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in large bowls.
- Combine ingredients from olive oil to sriracha in a small bowl. Stir to combine then pour over the tuna.
- Gently fold in the chopped jalapeño and scallions to the tuna blend.
- You can cover and refrigerate to let marinate for up to 2 hours.
- Immediately before serving, gently fold in one avocado, cubed, and 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve on Australian premium crackers or some sort of thin, simple cracker.