Ahi Tuna Tartare might sound intimidating, but it’s actually extremely easy to make and is certain to impress your guests. The only key is finding “sushi-grade” tuna steaks. I recently discovered that both Central Market and Whole Foods carry Sushi Grade Tuna in the frozen section… and it is GOOD. Now, I am going to be an Ahi Tuna Tartare making freak!
- approx. 1 lb. sushi-grade tuna steaks (I buy mine from Central Market or Whole Foods in the Freezer Section!)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. organic tamari
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp. sriracha (or less, to taste)
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Using a very sharp knife, cut tuna into 1/4 inch cubes. Place in large bowls.
- Combine ingredients from olive oil to sriracha in a small bowl. Stir to combine then pour over the tuna.
- Gently fold in the chopped jalapeño and scallions to the tuna blend.
- You can cover and refrigerate to let marinate for up to 2 hours.
- Immediately before serving, gently fold in one avocado, cubed, and 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve on Australian premium crackers or some sort of thin, simple cracker.