Holy fusion tacos. These Grilled Thai-Style Steak Tacos are DELICIOUS!
I absolutely love a good thai-style steak salad. Tangy, spicy, and salty beef with a big salad filled with crunchy veggies like cucumber and onion and then topped with aromatic herbs like mint and cilantro! What a dream.
I had some leftover nuoc cham sauce, a mixture of water, sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce, creating the base that’s a staple of Vietnamese flavor. Now, I realize Nuoc Cham is vietnamese, but it’s also super similar to the dressing typically used in thai-steak salads. I wanted to find a way to use it a few weeks ago and thought it’d be fun to do some grilled steak tacos with some delicious, crunchy vegetable slaw. When it’s all said and done, it’s got the essence of a thai-steak salad, but in a fun taco-twist. You know, because why not turn it into a taco? 🙂
I think you guys will just love this delicious summer taco recipe and it will be one to really step up your summer grilling game with something a little new and funky.
My favorite part about these Grilled Thai-Style Steak Tacos is the crunchy slaw made by combining fresh, crunchy veggies and the tangy, bright sauce. They almost taste slightly pickled with all the tang from the sauce. I love the combination of the savory steak with the crunchy veggies, then topped off with the fresh herbs and I am just in heaven eating tacos!!
Grilled Thai Style Steak Tacos with Crunchy Slaw
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 1-3 birds eye chiles very thinly sliced (1 for mild, 3 for hot)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
For the Steak:
- 1.5 lbs flap meat or skirt steak cut into 3 1/2 pound pieces
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
For Crunchy Slaw:
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced about 1/2 small onion
- 1 cup matchstick carrots about 1/2 large carrot
- 1 cup english cucumber, sliced in half lengthwise and thinly sliced about 1/4 english cucumber
- 1 cup watermelon radish, peeled and cut into matchsticks you can use regular radishes or daikon radishes
- 8 tortillas I like Siete brand
- cilantro, for serving
- thai basil, for serving
- lime, cut into wedges
Make the Sauce:
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients and set aside until ready to serve. [This sauce keeps up to 3 months in the fridge].
Marinade the Steak:
- Depending on the thickness of your meat, pound until it is 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the meat in a large ziploc bag or baking dish. Marinade with avocado oil, salt, pepper, coconut aminos, fish sauce, coriander, cumin and garlic. Toss to coat evenly. Let the steak marinade for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours in fridge.
Make the Crunchy Slaw:
- In a large bowl, add all of the slaw ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup of the Nuoc Chom sauce on top and set aside until ready to serve.
Make the Tacos:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (about 400-450 degrees F).
- Place the steak on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until the steak is cooked medium. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 10-15 minutes. Slice steak thinly, against the grain.
- Assemble tacos with steak and top with slaw. Serve with a wedge of lime and remaining Nuoc Chom sauce. Top with cilantro and thai basil. Enjoy!