When it is summertime, I always crave fresh Vietnamese Spring Rolls. They have so many fresh flavors and are filled with delicious, crisp veggies. This Vermicelli bowl is a fun take on a Spring Roll. My favorite part about this bowl? The Nuoc Cham Sauce! Wholly moly it is SO good. Its spicy, tangy, sweet, and sour all in one. Not to mention, it is so easy to make. My mother in law always makes this when she makes ANY sort of thai food, leaves it on the table for everyone to pour over all of their thai food. It is absolutely delicious.
This is one of my all time favorite meatless meals and summer salads, a must try that you will LOVE if you are a big fan of vietnamese food!
Ingredients (makes 2 bowls):
- 4 oz. dried Vermicelli
- 1-2 whole green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4-6 leaves of butter lettuce
- 1/2 a cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 large handful of peanuts, chopped
- 1/2 Avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 leaves of fresh Mint, loosely chopped
- 5 large leaves of fresh Basil, loosely chopped
- 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
- Nuoc Cham Ingredients (Everyday Vietnamese Dipping Sauce Recipe by Girl Cooks World) *side note: you will have leftover Nuoc Cham, keep it in the fridge and use it on top of any thai dish!
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup fish sauce (most are gluten-free, but check to label to make certain)
- 1-3 Thai chiles or Serrano chile peppers, sliced into thin rings
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed with the blunt side of your knife, then minced
1. First, make the Nuoc Cham Sauce: Combine all “Nuoc Cham ingredients” in a medium bowl and whisk to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust amounts of Thai Chilies. Set aside.
2. Chop and prepare all of your ingredients prior to cooking your vermicelli noodles, they cook quickly so its much easier if you are ready to build your bowls as soon as the noodles are ready.
3. Once your veggies are ready to go, cook vermicelli to package instructions. Drain, then build your bowls. Divide noodles into two bowls, then either surround or top with all of the remainder of the salad ingredients. Spoon desired amount of Nuoc Cham over everything (we like a lot)! Serve and enjoy!