One of my favorite Instagram handles to follow is @Caitsplate. If you don’t already follow her and love to get inspiration for a healthy daily lifestyle, I highly recommend following her. Not long ago, she posted a picture of her brother-in-laws “Famous Turkey Meatballs with Loaded Veggie Sauce”– ummm…. YUM! Well, I searched her blog high and low for the recipe and it was no where to be found, so I had to make up my own “not so famous” rendition. Simple, yet oh-so delicious! Hope you guys enjoy my copycat meal!
- For the Meatballs:
- 1 lb. Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
- For the Veggie Sauce:
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- 1 yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced
- 1/4 of a white or yellow onion, diced
- 5 baby bella mushrooms, stem removed, rinsed and sliced
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional for spicy)
- 2 cans Delallo Organic Italian Diced Plum Tomatoes in Heavy Juice
- 1 cup water
- the juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped basil
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, form all of the “For the Meatball” ingredients. Using your hands, mend meat until well combined. Then, using your hands again, form them into 2 inch meatballs (this should make about 10-12 meatballs).
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add meatballs. Brown all sides of the meatballs (about 2 mins per side), turn heat down to low and cover and cook until they are cooked through (no longer pink in the center). Remove from heat and set aside.
- Now for the sauce: In a separate large skillet, heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil with the smashed garlic and crushed red pepper. Saute over medium heat until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes, being very careful not to burn.
- Now add in the zuchinni, squash, onions, and mushrooms. Saute for about 4 minutes.
- Now add in the canned tomatoes, the cup of water, the juice of the lemon, the basil, parsley, oregano, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add your meatballs to the sauce and turn heat down to low and let simmer for about 20 minutes (if you are serving yours with pasta, now is a good time to make that).
- Serve over whole wheat pasta noodles, zoodles, or just eat it by itself! Enjoy!
Recipe inspiration from @caitsplate.