Sausage and Kale Thanksgiving Dressing Ingredients:
1 1/2 yellow onions, chopped coarsely
4 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
1 loaf of bread (we used Central Market Split Country Bread)
1 1/2 Tubes of Owen’s Hot Sausage
3 cloves of garlic, minced
5 leaves of Kale Greens, vein removed then chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1 cup of fresh chopped parsley
2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Spread the bread across a cooking sheet and toast in the oven for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a very large mixing bowl.
2. Now turn the oven up to preheat to 350 degrees.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the hot sausage, the minced garlic, the chopped celery and onions until sausage is just cooked through. Place in a colander and drain off the fat. Once drained, add to the bowl with the toasted bread.
4. In the same skillet that you cooked the meat in, take heat down to medium. Add the kale, the lemon juice, the salt and pepper, and the stick of butter and saute until all kale is wilted and butter is melted, about 4 minutes. Once wilted, add to the bowl with the toasted bread and sausage mixture.
4. Add 1 cup of freshly chopped parsley to the bowl and the 6 eggs. Stir all contents in the bowl until well blended. Place mixture in a 9 x 12 baking pan and spread evenly. Right before baking, slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture evenly.
5. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.
If you enjoy the combination of kale and sausage in this Sausage and Kale Thanksgiving Dressing, you must try my whole30 zuppa toscana!