It’s ironic that this is called a Lemongrass Steak Banh-Mi Bowls considering that “Banh-mi” is the Vietnamese word for “bread.” Ha! But as an American, when I think of a banh-mi, I think of a delicious sandwich filled with all of the delicious flavors of Vietnam. Deliciously marinated and grilled meat, crisp pickled vegetables, fresh herbs… I mean, I just love banh-mi sandwiches! They are so dang good!
A Banh-mi bowl has been on my list of things to make for a while now and I am so glad I finally got around to it. You guys are going to just love this recipe and it is perfect for summer grilling and entertaining. There are lots of moving parts to this recipe; however, I think it is a great entertaining recipe because you can pickle the veggies, chop the bowl ingredients, and marinate the meat in advance. When your guests arrive, all you have to do is throw the steaks on the grill and heat up the rice and/or quickly cook the cauliflower rice. Layout all the ingredients and just everyone assemble their own bowl. I love a fun, interactive meal like this when entertaining because everyone can make it their own!
The star of the Lemongrass Steak Banh-Mi Bowls is really the lemongrass marinated steak… oh, my! Talk about fabulous flavor! For this recipe, I used Top Sirloin Steaks from PRE® Brands, a 100% grass-fed beef company that takes “clean eating” seriously, which is why I love and respect them so much and love using their products in my household. Their standards of meat are completely changing the game in the meat world. I also love their packaging not only because it makes storing in the freezer SO easy, but it does not use chemicals or gases to extend shelf life artificially. Instead, they vacuum seal the meat, pulling oxygen out and sealing freshness in. So.. pretty much my freezer is stocked with PRE brands now.
PRE is available at retailers in across the U.S., on Jet.com and via Amazon Fresh. Visit http://www.pre-brands.com/
- 4 PRE Brands Top Sirloin Steaks
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. minced lemongrass
- 2-4 thai chilies, thinly sliced (2 for mild, 4 for spicy)
- 3 tsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. coconut aminos
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 daikon radish, peeled and julienned
- 1 cucumber, unpeeled and julienned (discard seedy slices)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Homemade Mayo
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. sriracha (or sub 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper)
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 radishes, sliced thin
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced very thin
- cilantro leaves
- In a bowl or large ziplock bag, combine all of the "for the steak" ingredients and toss to coat steak evenly. Let marinate in the fridge for at 2-4 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the pickled veggie ingredients in a bowl, toss to coat evenly and either cover and store in fridge until ready to serve, or place in a mason jar until ready to serve.
- Also, add all of the "spicy aioli" ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined. refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove the marinating steaks from the fridge about 30 minutes prior to cooking to allow to get to room temperature. Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat, when hot add steak to the grill (you can discard the remaining marinade) and grill for 4-6 minutes per side, (I did 4 mins per side for a ittle pink center) or until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove steaks from fridge and onto a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and saute the cauliflower rice for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover, let steam for about 3 minutes, or until the cauliflower is cooked through.
- When ready to serve, divide the cauliflower rice amungst 4 bowls along with the cabbage, avocado, radish, jalapeno, pickled veggies, and cilantro leaves. Slice steak thin and place in bowl and top with the spicy aioli!