This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
For breakfast with a cup of coffee or a sweet treat to end the day, these Easy Monkey Bread Muffins are an all-around win.
I don’t know about y’all, but I grew up on monkey bread. I mean, what’s not to love about a buttery, sugary, cinnamon-soaked piece of biscuit? Sign me up! So with those flavors, typically baked in a bundt pan, I made my own rendition in muffin tins. Baking these in individual pans is just a fun twist because who doesn’t want their own, personal monkey bread serving?
With my version, I also chose to omit the white granulated sugar and brown sugar that is traditionally used and chose to sweeten mine with a combination of maple syrup and coconut sugar instead. I promise, the sweetness still comes through perfectly!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Nonstick Cooking Spray (Unless you have a silicone muffin tin. I love this one!)
- Unsalted Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
- Flaky Biscuits
Step One: Make the Butter Sauce
After preheating your oven and spraying your muffin tin, if needed, you’ll start on your sauce. In a microwave-safe bowl, you’ll melt the butter with the maple syrup then whisk in the coconut sugar, cinnamon, and pinch of salt until mostly smooth. You may be thinking, “Salt? In a dessert?” but with a small amount, the salt just helps amplify the flavor. Once mixed, you’ll add a tablespoon of the mixture into each of the muffin cups.
Step Two: Cut and Coat the Biscuits
Next, you’ll get your biscuits prepped. I love the Immaculate Organic Brand but use whatever brand you prefer! You’ll cut each biscuit into 9 cubes then add them to your bowl with the remaining butter sauce, tossing to coat evenly. Then divide the coated biscuits into the muffin tins. There will likely be a little sauce left in the bowl, so drizzle that over the muffins.
Step Three: Bake and Enjoy!
Place these into the oven and bake until nice and golden. If you’re using a traditional metal muffin tin, these will take about 20 minutes, but if you are using a larger silicone muffin pan you will need to bake for about 30 minutes.
And there you have it, Easy Monkey Bread Muffins! I know you and your families will absolutely love this recipe and I cannot wait for you to create these in your own kitchens.
Easy Monkey Bread Muffins
- Nonstick cooking spray (see Note)
- 1 stick unsalted butter sub vegan butter for dairy-free
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- One 16-ounce can flaky biscuits, 8-count (I use Immaculate organic brand)
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray if needed.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl combine the butter and maple syrup and melt in increments of 20 seconds until the butter has just melted. Whisk until smooth. Add the coconut sugar and ground cinnamon and a pinch of salt and whisk until very smooth.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the mixture into each of the 9-pre greased muffin tins. Swirl the pan so that the sauce evenly coats the bottom of each tin.
- Cut each biscuit into 9 equal cubes. Add the cut biscuits into the bowl with the sauce until evenly coated. Fill the muffin tins about ¾ full, packed, with the coated biscuit pieces until all 9 are filled evenly.
- Evenly drizzle any of the remaining sauce in the bowl over each of the muffins.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown and no longer doughy in the center, about 20 to 30 minutes. It will be closer to 20 minutes for a traditional muffin tin, and closer to 30 for the large silicone muffin pan.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Using a small rubber spatula or butter knife, carefully loosen up the edges and lift the muffins out of the pan.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.